AMLAW Firm, 25-Person Marketing Department
As a result of a merger of two large firms, the new, combined marketing department was experiencing several challenges. While the CMO had identified many issues he wanted to address, he felt it was important to find out from his staff, located throughout the country, what they were experiencing as well. Fortunately, his team was populated with some talented people who were willing to give honest feedback.
In addition to the normal problems of integrating people, processes, and systems from firms with different cultures, the team faced the following challenges: poor communication, lack of teamwork or sense of camaraderie, low trust, and lack of accountability.
We began the assignment coaching the CMO to work more effectively with his new expanded team. As mentioned, he had already identified many things that needed to be changed, but he wanted deeper intelligence from those on the front line; so, we decided to conduct a survey to determine the team’s strengths and weakness, their communication challenges, and the issues that needed to be resolved.
Since communication challenges were at the top of everyone’s list we administered and debriefed the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Talent Insights assessment (this assessment measures behavioral preferences and values).
Next, we convened an offsite retreat with the entire team. Our objectives for the retreat were to:
- Define the team’s: Purpose, Mission and Core objectives
- Establish and live by useful and empowering guiding values.
- Understand and implement the behaviors of functional teams.
- Develop an action plan with specific, measureable objectives and task assignments.
- Develop a plan to improve the perception of the department and the level of service provided to the attorneys.
As a result of this work:
- The CMO is a more effective leader and manager.
- The team has made great strides in improving the processes and systems of the department.
- Communication, morale, and teamwork have improved.
- Team members trust each other more and exercise more peer-accountability.
- The level of service to the attorneys has increased.